I think, by now, we should ALL be somewhat aware of the statistics and rapid spread of HIV & AIDS. Here are some numbers I hijacked from The Red Pump Project website [I didn't wear my red pumps today because it's 12 degrees & snowing out, but I'm rocking the Red Pump in spirit ]:
- 33.4 million people are living with HIV/AIDS worldwide
- 2.1 million of those are children under 15
- 2.9 million people were newly infected with HIV in 2009
- 1.8 million people died from HIV-related causes in 2009
- 67% of the people living with HIV/AIDS are in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Young people account for half of new HIV infections
This is from the World AIDS Day Website:
- The number of people living with HIV in the UK has (tripled) in the last 10 years
- More than 90,000 people are living with HIV in the UK
- Over a quarter of people with HIV in the UK are undiagnosed
- About two thirds of people living with HIV are men and a third are women
- Over half of all people living with HIV are aged between 30 and 44, but there are significant numbers both of young people and older people now living with HIV
And this from Rollingout.com:
- Today in America, 152 people will become infected with HIV. Half of them will be Black.
- Today in America, 2/3 of the new HIV cases among women will be black. [Did y'all see that?! THAT'S 67 PERCENT!]
- Today in America, 70 percent of the new HIV cases among youth will be black.
The numbers & statistics can be broken down for days. It’s clearly out there.
What are you doing in your own life to prevent it from even happening?
We can’t live in a bubble, and I know that there is always at least a slight risk of contracting this disease outside of your own control… BUT, there are certainly things in your control that you can do to protect yourself.
I gotta be honest. I’m almost tired of everybody having to beg people to take action in protecting themselves against this disease. I get that sex is awesome. Everybody’s doing it [God-forbid you even suggest NOT doing it] and living it up and sexing you down and working you out and inventing sex (O_o).
Well, work it on out then… but do you think it’s worth your life?
In fact, meknows not.
If you’re gonna be doing what you do… PROTECT YO’SELF every time. Get tested. KNOW YOUR effing STATUS.
I suppose a lot of people don’t think it can happen to them. Shoot, I’m probably in that camp on some level. I’d be lying if I didn’t say all the stories of married women catching HIV from their husbands didn’t scare the bejeezus out of me. [Not that I'm married or anything, but you get what I mean.] Talk about the ultimate violation of trust & sacredness. Lorena Bobbitt needs to be on speed-dial for women in that situation.
And of course there could be blood transfusions gone awry, needle-sharing, and so forth. Like I said, not everything will always be in your control.
But, when it comes to things that are within your power, USE YOUR POWER. The numbers don’t lie. AIDS is all up in yo’ area, son. America, the UK, Africa, and then some. Ignorance is not bliss and we should be doing all that we can for ourselves & for others to stop the spread of HIV & AIDS.
*steps off soapbox*
*turns up ‘We Are the World’*